Saturday, September 6, 2014

Next Chapter at The National Tropical Botanical Garden - Week 1

Welcome to paradise after 21 hours of flying !

Sign in the Līhu‘e airport 

After a long journey from New York, I was met with the fabulous fragrant of Plumeria and ALOHA. Once again my love of plants has brought me to a distance land. For the next 3 months The National Tropical Botanical will be my home. With wide eyes combined with jet lag I cherished this moment with gratitude.

 I am sure it won't be my last. ooo forgot to mention I have a oneway ticket !

NTBG Logo

After gathering my bags at the Lahui airport I was greeted by 6 other interns that arrived a week early. All of us would be sharing close quarters for the next 3 months in housing provided by the gardens. This is going to be an experience for the record books I just know it !


First week of work 

Emerging from the Biodiversity Trail; headed to lunch and cake-cutting.
copyright National Tropical Botanical Garden
Once fully settled in, I began my first day by planting, mulching and weeding with final touches on the new interpretive garden called "The Biodiversity trail". This new garden installation marks the 50th Anniversary of the signing of a US charter in support of the National Tropical Botanical Garden.

Cameras on the ground and in the air to help capture #NTBG50 celebrations in the McBryde Garden.
To make the celebration 50 fourth graders took part in celebrating the accomplishments of the NTBG. 

NTBG birthday cake... it was fabulous !
copyright National Tropical Botanical Garden 
Irene Hirano Inouye and Diane Ragone plant a breadfruit tree in honor of First Lady Michelle Obama.
copyright National Tropical Botanical Garden

NTBG Education Coordinator Meghan Goodale performs "an aerial ballet".
copyright National Tropical Botanical Garden




Botanizing on the edge 

The following day the intern group and I took a hike Kokee Native Forest and Waimea Canyon State Park. We hiked 6 miles on the edge of botanical glory !

I didn't fall 2,000 feet to my death !
(Kokee Native Forest)

Don't look down
(Kokee Native Forest)

Where does the water end ?
(Kokee Native Forest)
Seeing the vegetation hanging on for dear life gave me inspiration
(Kokee Native Forest)

Excited to see some interpretive materials 
The clouds lifted just in time over the ridge 
Endemic, bird pollinated Tetraplasandra waimeae known as Oheohe 

The young leaf of False staghorn fern (Dicranopteris linear). Known as Uluhe in Hawaiian


Korthalsella complanata is the native Mistletoe. The  local name is hulumoa ("chicken feathers") or sometimes kaumahana ("warm perch")

The 2014 NTBG interns and Coordinator !

Craft session with Hauoli Wichman

On Friday we learned a traditional Polynesian craft known as Lauhala. Lau translates to "leaf" from the Hawaiian language and this refers to the leaves of the hall tree (Pandanus tectorius).Cultures weaves, plait, or braid the leaves to create baskets, mats and hats. We got to make fans and brackets. I spend 4 hours on my creation. 

Putting the final touches on my fan. Thank you Hauoli Wichman for you help ! 
Genoa starrs completed fan !
Tour of Allerton garden with Brian Yamamoto 

Nypa fruticans... we finally meet !  
The remarkable swamp palm 
Fruits of Nypa fruticans

Hibiscus dancing in the air !

Members of Malvaceae all around 
Coconut starting to grow on Lāwaʻi bay
Turtle nesting sites in Lāwaʻi Bay
View from the Allterton House 
Scaevola sencea as known as naupka lines the bay
Great view with nauaka 

So many plants ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment