Monday, September 1, 2014

Cornell Plantations - Marketing and Communication internship

                                   Summer in Ithaca

Dr. Christopher Dunn, Irene Lekstutis and myself during reunion weekend
During my internship, I helped with the development of interpretive materials, displays, and printed material. I wrote and distributed press releases about events, news items, and other noteworthy topics. Input and updated all events calendars for marketing Plantations’ events. Developed and maintained on-site and on-campus promotional materials (e.g. bloom board, campus exhibits).Researched marketing/promotional outlets and develop marketing materials, in consultation with staff, to send out to such outlets. Maintained Plantations’ Facebook page other means of social networking.

No shortage of Lavender in this garden
Developed and implemented  marketing and public relations campaign focused on Cornell undergraduate and graduate students. Researched and developed content and work with other Plantations staff for Plantations' Tumblr blog. Worked with interpretation coordinator to develop an interactive display based on fruit and also participated in weekly communications team meetings.

Get lost in the Arboretum as the sun sets
Candelabra primulas in full lust
Increase Plantations' online presence with post reaching over 5,500 on social media outlets and increased outreach on twitter and Instagram. Featured in a University publication focused on my summer experience at Cornell Plantations. Assisted in the expansion of outdoor displays by proper identification, increase in plant specimens and cultivation of cross campus collaborations. Took over 3,000 high quality images for future publications.


As a recent graduate, its so important to have at least one summer in Ithaca before your time on the hill expires. With that said, there is no better way to spend it. You are among the beauty and history that is Cornell Plantations.

Time disappears in the herb garden
Before even stepping foot on this campus, Cornell Plantations was on my radar. I was contacting staff even before I was accepted at Cornell. From when I was young I was always interested in the relevancy and accessibility of plants to daily human life. Attending Cornell has always been a dream and I believe that all of these experiences will afford me the opportunity to become  a leader within the field of public horticulture. I hope to bringing about change and influence to those that would otherwise would be left behind.

The Oak leaf Hydrangea looks amazing in the Young Flower Garden!
Big Red spirit in the garden




I began my day with a walk in the herb garden to capture a moment on my camera. Its amazing to capture such beauty and to be able to share it via Cornell Plantations’ social media. Once I returned to my desk I would work on various projects such as blog posts, media sharing, touring visitors, interpretation, creating an interactive display, and greeting visitors in the welcome center. I also attend weekly meeting where the education department shares updates and inspiration.






As students at Cornell we have so many opportunities and resources. Cornell Plantations is at the tops of my list. It saddens when I hear of students that have yet to explore. The internship program really creates a community. Get lost in the moment and find your place among the flower.

Rhododendron in full glory !
The whole summer was full of moments. I loved giving  garden tours to students. As we strolled in the gardens, everyone was amazed at each of the various gardens. Around each corner, we were met with oohs and aahs. I felt the excitement and wonder as we got to the Herb garden. The excitement reminded me why horticulture is important in my life. The power of people and plant interaction is something I thrive off of. What a way to spend a summer within the gardens the heal our souls.

Poppies bring color to the garden broader !
I was able to capture many moments in the garden. Check out some of my favorite images from this summer !

Magnolia macrophylla
Magnolia macrophylla
Check out those stamens on the peonies !
Pink Peonies 
Foxy fox gloves
Yellow Yarrow never looked so good
Wisteria with its splendid purple hues
Seed pod forming on the 50 year old Big Leafed Magnolia
Nasturtiums add bright orange to the vegetable garden !
No Garden would be complete without some composites
Raindrops keep falling on my petals
So simple but so complex
It is Thyme to garden
The Perennial boarder never looked so alive !
Look at these combinations !
Jack-in-the pulpit is admiring the pinks and reds!
What a contrast !
                                                                                Liriodendron tulipifera

The Arboretum in the summer !
The snapdragons are in full fury !
Caster bean and Dill !
Up close and personal
Spiders are always welcome in the garden !
What would a garden be without rain ?

“Is there any progress in horticulture? If not, it is dead,uninspiring. We cannot live in the past, good as it is; we must draw our inspiration from the future.” ~Liberty Hyde Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment